Conclusion

Through these posts, I have attempted to demonstrate the connections between cake and relationships, whether that is the family relationship between the mother and child, or a partner. I have attempted to find examples of where I think cake and relationships become inextricably linked and where cake becomes crucial to forming a memory, of which it appears the mother and child relationship is one that is most familiar in the art of baking. I have attempted to analyse what we mean by treat and why we now seem to have a "treat culture". I have used both recipe books and memoir in order to suggest the importance of cake within memory. I have also visited an inclusive café in order to demonstrate this further. It is interesting that even with the rise of the individual cake, I think it is safe to say that it is not a patch on the whole shared family cake. It is both a symbol of the family unit but also a symbol of a celebration.

I hope you have enjoyed these posts and perhaps treated yourself to a slice of cake or two!



Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Undercutting of Cake: An Introduction

What is a party without cake? From our very first birthday we are completely immersed within the world of cake.  Whether it is ...